I do not want to take
down the Christmas tree this year.
Putting away the decorations and stockings and erasing the chalkboard
and packing up the platters and china helps to un-clutter the house on a day
which needs to be about refocusing and beginning again – but the tree! The tree wasn’t chosen and decorated until
half-way through December and the month was so busy… there hasn’t been enough time
to sit and reflect in the gentle light, to enjoy each specially created or
collected ornament. In years past the needles were brown before the 25th
and the whole thing packed away the very next day. Today, though, when I know
it’s time to reclaim that corner of the family room, there is still water in
the stand. The needles are still green.
Only a few ornaments have fallen off. It’s been a fast and furious holiday
season, and I suppose it’s better for it to end reluctantly than for me to be clawing
my way out of a holiday hole. So January 2 may be the latest our Christmas tree
is still standing in recent years, but I’d just like to enjoy it for a few more
hours.
Saturday, January 02, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment