Update: two full days, no diet coke!!
Today I joined a unique group of people who get up really early on a Saturday to scrounge through other folks' discards and try to get as much as they can for as little as possible. Yes, I went "garage sale-ing."
And, boy, did I have a great time!!
Encouraged to "try it" by my friend who claims she's not addicted, I left the house before seven this morning, stopped by Starbucks for a tall Earl Grey and a chocolate cream cheese muffin (one thing I love about being pregnant, eating what I want!) and headed towards the street where I'd seen the sign.
Well, at 7:05 a.m. (even though the sign said 8-4) I pulled up to this house and since there already were other cars there, I parked. Grabbing my purse, I strolled down the driveway, passed piles of clothes (which really, I was not at all interested in), looked at tables full of toys and puzzles (of which really, we don't need any more), started to wonder why I was doing this at all, when suddenly I spied...
a box full of hardback Landmark history books!!
I glanced around to make sure no one else had noticed them, and then sat myself right down to claim my territory! I was close to tears, I was so happy. I asked the lady if I bought the whole box, would she make a deal... so she sold them all to me for $1 each!! (What I really wanted to ask was if she was sure she really wanted to sell them at all.) What a treasure! What a rush!
As I drove away, I understood.
Maybe I'll add a list of the books in that box sometime... 26 in all! But now that I have indulged the desire to gloat... I will go fold the 4 loads of laundry on the kitchen table so that we can eat breakfast in the morning, and so that I can enjoy my Sabbath rest.
Saturday, May 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeah for you! Do you know, I dont love garage sales, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the thrift store for clothes for me! I cant tell you how many name brand (Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne, Gap, Old Navy, Jones New York, etc) I have gotton with the tags STILL ON and for like maybe $2 each! Including maternity clothes!!!
Anyhow, congratulations on your super find! Woo hoo! What a rush!
OK Meg...you know that I now subsidize that friend of yours and pay her back if she finds any great bargains (wink/wink). May you enjoy many successful mornings!
Uh sorry Meg...that last comment was from me but my name didn't show up. Gayle
Gayle, you are welcome to borrow any of these books any time... but they are mine, all mine!!
I mean they are for the children, really... :-)
:-)
Post a Comment