Saturday, June 04, 2005

I love my kids!

And I am just so proud of them and thankful for them I could burst!

Okay, just so you know before I really get going here, I am under no illusion that my children are perfect... I was reminded of that at McAlister's tonight when N (5) &T (4) took off running down the aisles between the tables racing to get to their seats first. Ugh. And when B (7) grumbled b/c we all had to share one bag of m&m's. It would be the biggest treat in the world for my children to each have their own bag of m&m's someday!

However, before and after that event, I had such a delightful time with my children. First of all, we went to a friend's piano recital. Anyone who's ever been to a recital can imagine the potential for disaster with three boys (7,5&4) and a 19 month old!

But, they did great! Even baby E sat in my lap and sucked her thumb. The boys sat up front on the floor and I didn't hear a peep out of them. My daughter H (9) played two songs on her violin with the pianist (also 9) and together they were amazing. I am so proud of her. H enjoys performing, is so confident and does so well. The thing is, though, she really does play for the glory of God. We have talked so much about using her gifts to glorify God and as a blessing to other people... she truly has a humble spirit. Thank you, Lord!!

(I just had that song pop in my head... "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to..." but with the words, "It's my blog and I'll brag if I want to, brag if I want to...!!) LOL!

So anyway, after the recital we hopped into the car and headed back into town to the elementary school to watch my sweet next door neighbor in her end of the year play. She was the announcer in their rendition of "A Midsummer Night's Dream." We got there just as it was starting and the gym was packed. So we stood to the side by the door and watched. The children loved it, even though I'm not sure they heard much of it at all. But hey, there were swords! And there were fairies! And people were laughing! And the boys waved at our on-stage friend about 25 times during the play. (This morning we'll read the story from the Lamb's Shakespeare for children so they at least will know what was going on.)

Funny thing happened there. Turns out, I knew one of the teachers whose class was doing the play. He was my intern 10 years ago when I was working in p.r. It was so fun to say, "this is my family," and see his eyeballs pop out!

Afterwards, because I was so hungry (and maybe because we were still a little stir crazy from all the rain) and because Matt was going to be at work for a while longer, we went to McAlister's for dinner. It was very good, except I am regretting that enormous cup of tea I had... I'd love to be able to sleep a little tonight.

Anyway... I write all this because I am so thankful. Thankful that I truly enjoy my children! It is a delight to be with them! They are such fun little people! Don't get me wrong... I enjoy an afternoon out alone as much as anyone. But the thing is, I also enjoy an afternoon out with my children. And for that I am so thankful.

I had a very wise friend (who now has 9 children) once tell me her prayer was that she would be able to delight in her children. We have a long way to go in this parenting journey, but I'm starting to see how these verses are true:

Proverbs 23:24The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, And he who begets a wise child will delight in him.

Proverbs 29:17Correct your son, and he will give you rest; Yes, he will give delight to your soul.

2 comments:

Reformed Grits said...

I am so thankful for your children too! They are precious indeed! I had a moment like that yesterday when we all went to Walmart and they were truly angelic and so pleasant. I was really just basking in the glow that is my children. (lol)
Way to go mama!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

and MamaG concurs!!!