Monday, April 18, 2005

"Spring Break" travels, part one

Last week was our Spring Break. But, as you know, everything we do is 'school!' We had two great field trips, actually, in the course of the week. We did travel to one end of the state (the beach) and back, and then the next day, traveled to the other end of the state (the NC/VA border) for this conference. So, even though it was our 'spring break' and we did nothing in any of our workbooks, or read our history, or work on any memory work... we were indeed 'in school.' [geography, NC state study]

We crossed this bridge to get to Sunset Beach with my friend and her four children (thanks, Susan!). Traffic here stops every hour on the hour so the bridge can open and boats on the Intercostal Waterway can go through. In spite of the cold and drizzle, the children played in the water and on the sand near this pier. Baby E, who hates her bath, was terrified at first of the huge expanse of water, but eventually discovered she liked the sand and was running and playing with the best of them by the time we left. We discussed irrigation when the boys dug a ditch from the edge of the ocean to their castle moat. We brought home bags of sea shells, and even found some sharks' teeth! During the rainy afternoon, our oldest girls read, worked on their scrapbooks and colored with the youngest boys. [telling time, p.e., history, science, art]

On the way home, I learned a very important lesson (see, even for me, everything is school): when I am driving, I must watch for the road signs. [reading, following directions]

Even when I am quizzing the 9 & 6 year olds on their math facts. And when I lose my patience because the 9 & 6 year olds seem to have forgotten what numbers even are (but really aren't paying attention, just looking out the window...) I still have to watch out for the road signs. Especially when we are taking the 'scenic route' through every small town between Charlotte and the beach on hwy. 74 which has some interesting twists and turns around interstate 95... [math, map skills]

We ended up somewhere in a tiny town near Lumbertown, but found a very helpful florist who shook her head, corrected my pronunciation of Whiteville, and directed us back to the right road. [life skills]

I had to apologize to my children for getting us lost. I had to confess my sin of impatience and the sweet things forgave me and told me they loved me and that I am the best mom in the world. Then I gave them a piece of candy. We really only lost about half an hour and we saw a different part of the great state of NC! Plus, they enjoyed retelling the lovely story to Matt. However, B will forever remember the sum of 8+8, and H will not blank out again when skip counting by 8! [Bible, narration]

At least I hope not.




1 comment:

Reformed Grits said...

Wow, not only do you get more out of everything (lol) but you have mastered linking in your blog! This is so much fun... ! Keep going. I want to hear about the conference!