But oh, so good.
It is such a good feeling to say a happy good night to the children and tuck them in; tonight to a rousing rendition of O Worship the King sung lustly from both bedrooms as the lights went out.
We finished Caddie Woodlawn tonight over pizza. With a few breaks for music practice, math, chores, soccer (yes, in the cold and drizzle), meals and memory work, we read the last eight chapters today! Several times, I was fighting back the tears and the children groaned, "Mom, why are you crying again?!"
Anyone else do that?
The following quote was said to Caddie, a pioneer tomboy, by her wise father after she was disicplined and sent to her room with no supper... (well, I won't say why in case you've never read the book!)
"... It's a strange thing, but somehow we expect more of girls than of boys. It
is the sisters and wives and mothers, you know, Caddie, who keep the world sweet
and beautiful. What a rough world it would be if there were only men and boys in
it, doing things in their rough way! A woman's task is to teach them gentleness
and courtesy and love and kindness. It's a big task, too, Caddie -- harder than
cutting trees or building mills or damming rivers. It takes nerve and courage
and patience, but good women have those things. They have them just as the men
who build bridges and carve roads through the wilderness. A woman's work is
something fine and novel to grow up to, and it is just as important as a man's.
But no man could ever do it so well. ... I want you to be a woman with a wise
and understanding heart, healthy in body and honest in mind."
Oh, what a wonderful message to give my dear daughter, and of which to remind myself... all done to the glory of God, of course!

1 comment:
I have never read this book, but Sydney read it in first grade... I think I need to go get it!
Hey, do you ever go back and read comments that I comment to on old blogs? Just curious if I was wasting my time, LOL...
Post a Comment