Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wednesdays at our house

I don't get out of the house very much these days. I like being at home and that is a good thing; with five little ones, it is quite an undertaking to go anywhere. Not to mention that my stress level increases at the very mention of getting in the "car." Being at home gives us days on end to read, play, do school, keep up with the house, bake bread, train the children, rest and enjoy (for the most part!) each other. I know that soon enough these calm days at home will drastically change.

Wednesdays, however, we do leave the house for violin lesson. (Mondays are for piano lessons, but usually Grandma Carol comes over for some quality time with the littles while I take our budding piano man.) It seems to take me all day to gear up for leaving the house on Wednesdays, therefore when the children came to me with their idea for "Wednesday school," I agreed it would be a great thing.

Basically the older two (almost 9 and almost 7) teach the buddies (5 and almost 4) for the morning. Seriously!! Today started out like any other day with breakfast, devotion, music practice and chores, but then the two olders took over. With their two younger brothers as their star pupils, they did a craft (I have two lovely new bead necklaces, a bracelet and a bookmark), art appreciation (using A Child Looks at Art), math (with Math-U-See blocks), phonics (Sing, Spell Read and Write), geography (using a globe and the Geography Songs music) and reading. Oh yes... they also had show and tell!

As it is raining, we had a good snuggle up reading time after their "school" and then there was some good play with the knights and pirates.

My oldest daughter will have to do her own school work this afternoon, but she is more than happy to mix things up a little. They asked today if they could do this every day... I said no, but they settled on Wednesday and Saturday.

What did I do with my free time this a.m.? Well... played with the baby before her nap, took a shower, made the bread, did a little laundry, caught up on some e-mails...

Wednesday school... another thing I now love about homeschool!

No comments: